Friday, August 31, 2007

A Kick In The Teeth

I’m so glad you found my blog!!

What a difference a day makes.

Aug 16th my sis was in town, I’d bought a crib and we had my baby shower with my fabulous Aunts. Aug 17th I was being “let go” from KOSY.

That’s certainly not what I expected when I got to work that Friday.

I suppose it’s never great timing - to lose ones job. I’ve heard all the horror stories about how it happens right before the holidays, right before a family vacation or just after buying a new house.

Ours is lousy timing too.

I was going to come home that Friday morning and Mark and I were going to put the finishing touches on our house in order to put it up for sale Monday morning. We were going to make an offer on a house we’d really fallen in love with – a great house with room for an actual nursery!! We were making that next big step. Well, needless to say, we called our realtor but not to tell him we were ready to move forward.

So, here we are. 1/3 of our house is in storage, 1/3 of our house is in the bedroom closet in my mom’s basement. And a few things are still boxed up – filling our garage – awaiting their trips to their waiting place. I’m not sure what to do about it all. We don’t have room for it.

Our little baby will be sharing a room with my piano – which actually my sis said could come in quite handy when the baby is having a melt-down. I have her nursery décor sitting my kitchen table. I’ve been putting off moving it upstairs since I’m significantly less excited about this nursery. But I keep telling myself the baby won’t notice, right? People have raised whole packs of kids in a lot less space. So, I’ll put my stuff up and make it as homey as possible.

Above all, we’re okay. We all have our health – which is the most important. The baby is getting bigger everyday (consequently, so am I!) and is kicking all the time. And we hadn’t actually sold our house – whew! – so we still have a warm place to call home.

I am sad because I loved my job. It was great fun – even getting up at 3:30a – to sit and chat with you everyday. So many of you have made contact with me and I’ve come to consider you friends. That’s been the biggest surprise to me: How lonely it’s been not working. Being let go means losing the e-mail address so many of you used to contact me… and it feels really lonely.

Please feel free to drop me a line! Showtune.erica@hotmail.com I’d love to hear from you!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Best of Luck Erica! I'm much less impressed with kosy after this, it doesn't seem ethical. I hope it all turns out well! We had 3 children in 1150 sq foot apt and there are benefits--i always knew what everyone was up to and it couldn't take that long to clean the house!
: ) hope it turns out.
Lisa

Rascal_Cube said...

Hi Erica! Mark told me about the blog - good to see you're still at it! Can't wait for your next great gig to "see" you again!

The Dean's said...

Good to see your blogging... I miss seeing whats going on in yoru life since i suck at keeping in touch. Dinner was fabulous and we need to have you and mark over... i'll call you, i promise...
Love you,
s

Jeremy said...

Hello there. I want to wish you and your growing family well. After working with you on Music Man and listening to you for years, I must admit KOSY made a huge mistake dropping you and Scot. I have tried to listne for the music on SHowtunes saturday, but the other dj just sounds like she's trying to sound like Erica. I wish sometimes that she would just play the music and announce the songs and then get off the air. Any way, I hope that you all are healthty and happy and keep smiling!

Tyson Chaney said...

I'll email you like your posts request shortly but I wanted to say publicly I'm saddened at the news you were fired. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. May your family and you be happy and safe this year.